In 1315, in the end of Kamakura Era, a Monseigneur founded a little temple and this is the origin of Daitoku-ji Temple. It was supported by some emperors such as Emperor Godaigo and was ranked as one of “Five Temples in Kyoto”, high prestige of Zen temple was enacted by Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu in 1392. However, it was excluded from them by a new government after a revolution. It was ruined during in 1467-1477 and Ikkyu-Soujun, who is known as a very wise Monseigneur at the time, revived it with merchants. In Momoyama Era, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the strongest general at that time, founded Souken-in in Daitoku-ji Temple as one of sub-temple in order to hold a memorial service for Oda Nobunaga, who was his master. Then, many generals constructed sub-temples, and Daitoku-ji temple is composed of the main temple and 23 sub-temples. Most of sub-temples have tea house inside, as Daitoku-ji temple has had a close relationship with the tea ceremony ever since it took refuge in Sen-no-Rikyu. Kohtou-in sub-temple where is famous for its crimson carpets of autumn leaves, Oubai-in where is open to the public only in the spring and autumn for its beautiful moss, fresh greenery and autumn leaves, and a pathway leading from the south gate with pine trees lined up on both sides are recommended to visit.